Riz au lait (rice pudding or sticky rice) is a timeless classic of French home cooking that appeals to children and adults alike. This dairy-free recipe is perfect for lactose intolerant people. Riz au lait is a sweet version of Italian risotto.
- 1.5 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup Italian arborio rice
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp organic maple syrup
- 1/4 cup raisins
- Rinse the rice and drain.
- Combine the almond milk, rice and cinnamon in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a gentle bubble and lower the heat to simmer.
- Add maple syrup to sweeten (to taste) and mix thoroughly.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until most, but not all, of the milk is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, stir in the raisins.
- Place mixture in individual dishes. Serve warm or cold.