While risotto is not a highly popular dish in France, recipes for the classic Italian favourite abounds in Australia. My first attempt at cooking risotto at home dates back to nearly two years ago, after a work colleague convinced me that enjoying a creamy home made risotto was well worth the twenty minutes of constant stirring most recipes call for!
Today’s minted zucchini risotto recipe is simple yet delicious – a truly scrumptious vegetarian meal. My favourite thing about risotto: it is pure comfort food, perfect to beat the winter chills especially enjoyed with a glass of wine.
Creamy Minted Zucchini Risotto
- 3x cups of high quality stock (vegetable or chicken)
- 100 ml of white wine
- 1 tbsp of butter
- 1x zucchini
- 2x garlic cloves, crushed
- 1x brown onion, thinly sliced
- 1x cup of arborio rice
- 1/2 cup of fresh mint
- parmesan, to serve
- Slice zucchini in ribbons. Heat butter in a fry pan and cook zucchini on both sides until brown and soft.
- Remove zucchini from the pan. Add onion and garlic and cook until brown.
- Add the rice to the pan and toast it for a few minutes.
- Add a ladle of chicken stock to the pan, stir until absorbed. Repeat this process until all stock has been absorbed into the rice, one ladle at the time (it should take about 20 min or until rice is just tender).
- Remove from heat and gently stir fresh mint leaves and the cooked zucchini in.
- Serve with grated parmesan and a glass of your favourite white wine!