It’s Spring Lamb season in Australia which means it’s the seasonal peak in supply, following the traditional breeding cycle: lambs are born in winter and sold in spring. Spring lambs are generally milk fed and its meat is considered to be particularly sweet and tender.
Fun facts about lamb….
- Aussies consumed 220,000 tonnes of lamb in the last year.
- The average Aussie eats 627 KG of lamb in a lifetime.
- Leg and shank are the two most purchased cuts of lamb, accounting for 1/3 of the market combined.
- Lamb has more nutrients that chicken, pork, snapper and salmon – it’s packed with iron, zinc, protein and omega-3.
This delicious Marinated Spiced Lamb with Couscous & Mediterranean Vegetables recipe takes you to the Middle-East within the first bite! Served with couscous and grilled vegetables capsicum, it’s the perfect dish to match with a glass of Shiraz or Pinot Noir.
- 2 lamb rump
- 10 ml lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1x jar of grilled capsicum
- 1/4 cup of kalamata olives
- Combine lemon juice, cumin and paprika in a bowl. Add the lamb and set aside in the fridge to marinate.
- Preheat a pan on medium-high. Cook the lamb for 3-4 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to your liking.
- Cook the red onion with a little olive oil until brown. Add the grilled capsicum and olives and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Cook couscous as per packaging instruction and add a little extra virgin olive oil through once cooked, to separate the grain. Season with salt and pepper.
Do you like lamb? How often do you have it?
What is your favourite way to cook lamb?