Falafel are usually deep-fried balls commonly eaten in Middle-Eastern cuisine. This is my first attempt at making healthy pan-fried falafel patties, from scratch – this healthier version doesn’t require deep-frying. These flavoursome falafel are healthy and easy to make. Made from chickpeas, onion, garlic, spices and fresh parsley, these pan-fried falafel are crunchy, healthy and flavoursome.
Healthy Pan-Fried Falafel
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 1 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1 egg white
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (to cook)
- Place onion, garlic, coriander, cumin, chickpeas, parsley, flour, egg white, salt and pepper in a food processor. Process until almost smooth.
- Using floured hands, shape mixture into four 2cm-thick patties. Place on a plate. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook patties for 4 to 5 minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Serve with tabbouleh and pita bread.