In my unquenchable thirst for new experiences, I decided to learn the fine art of macaron making. To this effect, I attended a 2-hour macaron making class at MakMak Macarons in Newtown, Sydney. MakMak’s handmade macarons are distinguished by their unique texture and flavour as well as a commitment to sourcing the highest quality ingredients. MakMak Macarons produces some of the best macarons in Sydney and New South Wales.
Macaron Making Class
I made macarons once before and to be fair it was a complete disaster, so I never tried again. But as I write this article, I’m proud to say Makmak’s macaron making class has given me the confidence I needed to go back to baking these little beauties at home!
Carlos, one of the owners of MakMak Macarons, first demonstrated how to make macarons and gave us heaps of tips in the process, then we made our own Milk Chocolate and Peanut Butter macarons.
Carlos’ macaron making tips
- Italian meringue is best for making macarons (as supposed to French meringue).
- There is no need to age the egg whites.
- Mix the almond meal and pure icing sugar to combine then pass through a very fine sieve.
- Tap your macaron tray a few times onto your bench before placing into the oven, for any air bubbles to dissipate.
- Use an oven thermometre to ensure you’re baking the macarons at the correct temperature.
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT MAKMAK MACARON MAKING CLASS
♥ Interactive demonstration of the macaron making process, in a commercial kitchen
♥ Make your own macarons under the supervision of MakMak’s head chef and build-up your confidence
♥ Taste your own macarons and take home the leftovers for your friends and family to enjoy
♥ Class ran by Carlos and Daniel, the owners of MakMak Macarons
♥ Maximum of 10 participants per session
Disclaimer: Mademoiselle Slimalicious attended as a guest of MakMak Macarons. All opinions, words and photos are my own.
What is your favourite macaron flavour? Have you made macarons before?