Moroccan Chickpea Salad
You all know I love love love Morocco since I lived there in 2005. I have travelled to Morocco many times, I even took a cooking class there! The great thing about Morocco is that it is one of the most diverse countries in Africa, with high mountains, sweeping deserts and rugged coastline – it has something for everyone;
Today’s fresh and zesty Moroccan Chickpea Salad is a delight. The zesty sweet orange is paired against the peppery bitterness of rocket and the succulent chicken will melt in your mouth upon first bite. This recipe is adapted from HelloFresh.
- 2 tsp Moroccan spice mix
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 300 g chicken thigh, roughly chopped
- 1 orange, peeled & segmented
- 1 bulb fennel, finely sliced
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 70 g rocket, washed
- 1 tbs mint, roughly chopped
- In a small bowl add in the Moroccan spice mix and the olive oil and stir to combine, add the chicken to the bowl and coat
well with the spice mix.
- Heat some oil in a pan over a medium-high heat and add the chicken, cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the pan and leave aside to cool.
- To segment the orange – cut the ends off the orange so it sits flat. Remove the skin, being careful not to cut into the flesh. Hold the
orange over a bowl and reserve the juice. Cut down either side of the white membrane then push gently so the segments slip out.
- Prepare the fennel by thinly shaving the bulb with a sharp knife. Work up the stalks until they become too woody. Set aside any remaining fronds for tossing through the salad.
- Place the orange segments, fennel, chickpeas, and the rocket into a large salad bowl. Place the chicken into the salad bowl and
toss well to combine. Dress the salad with a little olive oil and orange juice. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Divide the salad between bowls, garnish with the chopped mint and dive into this fresh Summer salad.
What are your favourite salad toppings?
Do you use fruits in your salads?