Spaghetti Alla Puttanesca is a tangy, salty southern Italian pasta dish. The saltiness comes from the anchovies and olives; The tanginess is brought by the tomatoes and capers. Ready in minutes, Spaghetti Alla Puttanesca is the best pasta dish I have had in a long time! The balance of flavours makes it a deliciously unique dish for the entire family to enjoy.
Spaghetti Alla Puttanesca
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 anchovies (drained and finely chopped)
- 1 brown onion
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and finely sliced, crushed or grated
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 500 g spaghetti
- 1 x can peeled tomatoes
- half a cup of chopped pitted black olives
- 2 tbsp small capers (rinsed and drained)
- half a cup chopped fresh parsley
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Cook pasta following packaging instructions.
- Pour the oil into a wide frying pan, on a medium heat.
- Cook the onion until brown and soft.
- Add the finely chopped anchovies and cook for about 2 minutes, then add the garlic and chilli flakes and cook, stirring for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, olives and capers and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every now and again, by which time it will have thicken slightly.
- Taste for seasoning and scatter with chopped parsley.
More Spaghetti recipes here:
Do you like capers? And anchovies? Do you use them in your cooking?